Thursday, January 6, 2011

Evelyne Grace Part 2


Things were moving along quickly and all I could focus on was getting through each contraction. We got there about ten o'clock and I was already dilated to a 5 or 6. Lianna got there and she, along with the nurse, helped me figure out which way I was most comfortable. I ended up in the bathtub for the most of the evening- the warm water helped me relax.

Alex likes telling people about this time because I would be SO intense during a contraction I would just stare right at his nose with a really angry, hard-core look on my face. It really is like fighting through a battle- you are so focused on getting through the pain.


By one A.M. it was time to get checked again. At this point I was feeling so much pressure and I thought to myself, if I haven't made any progress then I'll think about getting something to ease the pain. To my relief, it was time to push. That took about an hour and a half because I didn't want to push her out because it hurt so much! The time really flew by and my contractions started to slow down.


My doctor started talking about giving me some pitocin to make my contractions more intense but I had gone all that time without an IV and I wasn't about to get one at the very end. So I sucked it up and pushed her out within minutes.


When she came I was so overwhelmed it was the most incredible moment of my life! I was practically yelling "That's MY baby!" I LOVE her!" "I'm your mommy!!" One of the nurses in the room later commented it was like a scene from a movie :) Alex and I were overjoyed and in amazement.


As things were going on around me I just remember staring at her and I can't even put into words what went through my mind. We belonged to each other.


We texted our parents that she was here and my Dad was so excited he couldn't sleep and came right to the hospital to meet his first grandchild. After we all got cleaned up and taken care of they left us all alone in the room to get some rest. We were all exhausted. Alex fell asleep right away but as I laid there in the dark my eyes were wide open.


This part of the day stands out to me more than any other. I was in awe of what had just happend. Here we were, together for the first time, and I remember realizing that my life was incomplete with out her. That may sound cliche but in the quiet of the room I praised God for the miracle that He was letting us be a part of. Again, I consecrated Evelyne Grace to Him. She is His child first and foremost and I never want to forget that. But what an incredible blessing to be a part of this journey.


I didn't sleep, I didn't eat. I was so excited to share her with anyone that could come- I'm sure we had 30 people in and out that day and more the next. We were overjoyed. So many people had been praying for her that they felt a bond with her right away as well.


Looking back I tell many people that it was by far, the best, most life changing day I have ever experienced.

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful story!!! Thank you for sharing it with us. I was so blessed by your articulation of your view of your daughter as God's child first. I also love that you were able to experience the whole thing without pain killers. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww! I got choked up! Thanks for writing this. Great reminder for me to remember with my kids as well! Love ya Heather.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...